WHAT IS FRESH INK?
Barking Gecko Theatre Company are proud to partner with Australian Theatre for Young People – ATYP to bring FRESH INK to WA. FRESH INK is ATYP’s national mentoring program that has supported more than 50 playwrights over the last four years. FRESH INK is the only program of its kind in Australia. The program is designed to create opportunities for committed and talented playwrights to help bridge the gap into professional practice.
The program pairs emerging playwrights with a mentor for a series of workshops that will result in a 15 minute three person script delivered for rehearsal with professional actors and a 30 minute script that will be rehearsed with a professional cast.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Throughout the program participants:
- Attend a pre-arranged workshop session once a month with their mentor for 6 hours
- Meet once a month independently of their mentor for at least 3 hours
- Work with external directors and guests to widen networks and build skills
- Deliver a 15 minute play for up to 3 characters in July which is then rehearsed with professional actors
- Deliver a 30 minute play for 4 characters in December that will be rehearsed and performed by professional actors for an invited audience
WHAT DO PARTICIPANTS GET?
- Mentoring across the year by an industry professional – in 201 Will O’Mahony in WA
- A complimentary subscription provided by AUSTRALIANPLAYS.ORG for the period of the mentorship
- The opportunity to work with professional actors and directors
- Opportunities to showcase their work to invited audiences
HOW DO I APPLY?
*Applications for the 2018 Fresh Ink program are now closed*
To be eligible in 2018 participants will need to:
- Be aged 18-26
- Have some experience in the past with playwriting
- Be available to meet the time commitments (outlined on this page) between April and November 2018.
Please note that there is a $400 participation fee for this program. ATYP offers scholarship places for those who could not participate otherwise, please get in touch for a scholarship application form.
WHO IS INVOLVED?
This year we have Perth playwright Will O’Mahony mentoring four emerging writers.
Will O’Mahony is a multi award-winning actor and writer who began directing in 2012. Directing credits include Body Farm (Blue Room Theatre), Tonsils + Tweezers (BSSTC), The Mars Project(WAAPA), Great White (Blue Room Theatre), Punk Rock (WAAPA), The Boys (WAAPA) and Fire(WAYTCO). Founder of the critically acclaimed independent theatre company The Skeletal System, Will has written seven plays – Great White, Coma Land, Marshmallow Men, Tonsils + Tweezers, Helium, The Mars Project andOvernight. Great White was awarded Best Script at the PAWA awards and its debut production received three 2013 Blue Room Theatre awards. Tonsils + Tweezers won the 2014 Black Swan State Theatre Company’s Emerging Writers Best New Play Award and received production in January of 2016. Coma Land was presented by Black Swan State Theatre Company in July 2017.